When the Hartford Poli's Entertained Thousands


The Hartford Poli's were the class semi-professional team in the Greater Hartford area. The team was formed in 1909. They were sponsored by Poli’s Theatre and Sylvester Z. Poli, the world’s largest individual theater owner who started his business in New Haven, Connecticut. Their manager was a veteran second baseman named Curtis Gillette. Manager Gillette was raised in New Haven but came to Hartford in 1911 pursuing a baseball career. Gillette was named player-manager of the Poli’s and he led them to unprecedented success.

1913 Hartford Poli’s Baseball Club

1914 Hartford Poli’s Baseball Club

1915 Hartford Poli’s Baseball Club

Hartford Courant excerpt from September 6, 1915.

1918 Hartford Poli’s Baseball Club with Babe Ruth (back row, third from right).

Hartford Courant excerpt from September 28, 1914.

Sylvester Zefferino Poli, (December 31, 1858 – May 31, 1937) was an Italian immigrant to the United States who became a world famous theatre magnate.

 Originally opened on August 28, 1920 as the Poli’s Capitol Theatre, designed by Thomas W. Lamb. It was later known as the Fox-Poli Theatre before finally becoming the Loew’s Poli Theatre. Located on Main Street, this was perhaps the most elegant theatre in Hartford. Loew’s Poli Theatre was still open in 1956, but had closed by 1957.

Originally opened on August 28, 1920 as the Poli’s Capitol Theatre, designed by Thomas W. Lamb. It was later known as the Fox-Poli Theatre before finally becoming the Loew’s Poli Theatre. Located on Main Street, this was perhaps the most elegant theatre in Hartford. Loew’s Poli Theatre was still open in 1956, but had closed by 1957.